Design Task – CD storage
Note: This task should take approximately 3 periods. Therefore complete one task for each ‘Snow day’.
- To develop your skills in designing and problem solving.
- To develop your skills in sketching and rendering.
Many people have a collection of CDs. These may be music CDs or CDs for storing software etc. If there is no place to store the CDs then they can easily fall over into a disorganised mess!
Design a device for storing up to 15 CDs. The device must be stable and attractive and arrange the CDs in a way that would make is easy to identify each one. Wood, metal or plastic can be used in the design.
- Sketch out 2 or 3 ideas for a CD storage device.
- Think about how they could be arranged
- Explain each idea with short notes.
- Select your best idea.
- Explain why you have chosen it.
- Sketch out any improvements.
- Draw a 3D rendered view of the final idea (remember to include dark and light shading and a suitable background).
Your final submission should be 3 pages. 1 page of ideas, 1 page of development/improvements and 1 page with a final idea rendering.