Welcome back to S2, this is a very important year for you as you will be choosing the subjects that you will be studying for the next two years.
This year, as well as a group work lesson in PSE, you will be getting a one-to-one appointment with one of the school Careers Advisers, either Caroline or Nicola, around subject choice time so that you feel you have all of the information you need to make well-informed choices about what suits you best. Don’t worry! We do not expect you to all have your plans in place but it will give you a chance to talk over your ideas and think about what may suit your skills and strengths. If you would like your parent or carer to come along to this short appointment we would be more than happy to have them come along. Just let us know!
You can arrange to speak to us at S2 Parents Evenings and we deliver a short talk for parents at the Information Evening in March where we will give you a quick overview of My World of Work.
Choosing school subjects is not about choosing a career. However, there can be a link between school subjects and your career plan. If you have some ideas about what you would like to do when you leave school, you should check out what subjects may be needed.
Here are some hints which may help you make your subject choice decisions:
• Do leave your career ideas open – you may have some ideas already but these may change.
• Do take subjects that you enjoy.
• Do take subjects you are good at.
• Do remember to take at least 2 sciences if you are interested in a scientific or medical career.
• Don’t take subjects you dislike.
• Don’t think some subjects are for girls and some are for boys.
• Don’t be influenced by your friends’ choices or because it is with your favourite teacher – you may not have that teacher next year.
• Don’t take subjects that you find difficult – they will likely become harder in S3 and S4.
The Choosing My Subjects section of My World of Work has more good advice!